In Primavera P6, there are 2 popular activity type: Task Dependent and Resource Dependent.
So what is the difference?
By choosing Task Dependent or Resource Dependent, P6 will choose what calendar it will use for the activity:
- Choose Task Dependent: P6 use Activity calendar for the activity
- Choose Resource Dependent: P6 use Resource calendar for the activity
Then it will affect the Original Duration and Finish Date of the activity.
We have Activity A with attribute as below:
- Working duration is 10 days
- Activity Calendar is 7 days / week
- This activity is assigned resource R who work 5 days / week
Now if we choose Task Dependent, P6 will use Activity Calendar. Then activity duration will be 10 days. Activity Finish Date is 24-Mar-18
If we choose Resource Dependent, P6 will use Resource Calendar. Then activity duration will be 14 days. Activity Finish Date is 28-Mar-18
The process of calculation to have 14 days is as below:
When we assign resource to activity, it copy the value 10 days from activity duration to resource duration. Then it base on 5 days workweek to calculate Resource Finish Date.
Then it will mirror Resource Finish Date to Activity Finish Date. Then it base on 7 days workweek to calculate Activity Duration.